Even though we have been out on many adventures over the past years, preparation still takes time and thought. With our spring vacation being the first trip of the year a little more preparation is needed.
Listed here are the steps that I go through getting ready for a trip:
1) Once we have decided where we are going the planning begins with researching the area in both books and on the internet. I will download any GPS tracks that I find as well as printing any other relevant intonation. I also make sure I have any relevant hard copy maps and that I study them prior to the trip. It is important to understand the area that we are going into and also be ready to navigate using hard copy maps if the electronic methods fail.
2) Planning meals is critical to a successful trip. As with many of our trips, this spring trip we will not have access to stores should an item be forgotten. I prep a full menu for all meals and use this to create a shopping list for all food items needed.
3) Open and inspect the cooking and pantry boxes. Once inspected stock for the trip.
4) Review all other supplies needed such as wag bags.
5) Inspect the trailer.
6) Ready all personal gear.
7) be sure all batteries are charged.
8) Review the weather forecast to be sure be bring the correct cloths.
There are a number of smaller tasks that also must be completed, however this list gives a good overview of the steps I go through getting ready.